ireadalot

DOUBLE PARKED BOOKS

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
Jorge Luis Borges

The Heretic's Daughter
Kathleen Kent
Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter
Simone de Beauvoir, James Kirkup
Radioactive: Marie and Pierre Curie, A Tale of Love and Fallout - Lauren Redniss I loved this book - and by that I mean the physical book. The texture, the colors, the drawings and the fact that it glows in the dark are among the the things I enjoyed. Really, it GLOWS in the dark.

The information in the book reads like observations and fun facts distributed among the drawings. It does convey the story of Marie & Pierre Curie in a whimsical, almost lyrical prose. Sometimes it seems almost like a poem.

It does also talk science - clearly & without embellishment. One can't really talk about the Currie's without talking about radioactivity. It was both their triumph & their demise.

I'm not giving it four stars because it is great literature. I'm giving it four stars because it's charming and innovative in conveying a story of fairly ordinary people who accomplished extraordinary objectives. More that just the words, the art, the colors, and the choice of paper each have an important part in this "biography."

Read it, but don't forget to touch and feel the book. And, for haven's sake, do turn the light off so you can see it glow.