ireadalot

DOUBLE PARKED BOOKS

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
Jorge Luis Borges

The Heretic's Daughter
Kathleen Kent
Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter
Simone de Beauvoir, James Kirkup
You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations - Michael Ian Black I've seen this guy - sardonic, sarcastic, irreverent, witty, and down-right funny. I expected to laugh - and I did. What I didn't expect were the insightful, sensitive, almost-made-you-cry moments. Who would have guessed that he is marshmallow-filled?

I loved this book for it's sweet, forthright, and humorous account of life. In particular, I enjoyed reading about his travails as a father. What a candid view of fatherhood! He does not spare himself or his wife in the telling of the miserable parts of child-rearing. Yes, you get that he loves his wife (though sometimes I wonder why) and kids, but he doesn't romanticize the every-day drudgery of life as husband and father. Would-be parents and/or engaged couples should be given this book so that they know what to expect. If they go ahead and take the plunge, at least they will forgive themselves the not-so-idealized moments that will inevitably occur.

I loved this book for it's unexpected sweetness, its humor, and it's candid view of one man's experience as father, husband, son, and friend. Four stars for being well-written and insightful.